Re: [REGRESSION] "USB: use kfifo to buffer usb-generic serialwrites" causes gobi_loader to hang

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Feb 22 2010 - 14:14:53 EST

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 02:10:33PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> > Does this mean a tty interface is ill-suited for the microcode upload, and
> > instead qcserial should use the kernel's generic microcode upload mechanism or
> > the userspace should use libusb to do it?
>
> I don't know. Didn't the old successful code use a tty interface?

Yes. The kfifo changes have caused some sort of alteration in behaviour.

> > Any idea what could be causing the hang, then?
>
> No idea, unless it's the device.

Once the device hangs, it then tends to refuse any input until power
cycled. So it's clearly getting into some sort of undefined state,
though whether that's because it only gets sent half of its firmware
(ie, the hang occurs and as a result the hardware dies) or whether it's
causing the hang by dying is unclear.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx