Re: add_timer_on: in-kernel users _all_ buggy ?

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 18:11:48 EST

* Neil Horman (nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:41:18AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Neil Horman (nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > Hm, I think I see your point here. You're suggesting that a call to one of the
> > > tracepoint hooks in the drop monitor can race against a second call to the hook
> > > from an interrupt context that pre-empted the first, leading to double add of
> > > the timer?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > I agree, in fact I think its likely worse that that, the shared data
> > > on the skb that I modify there can get corrupted in that case as well. I expect
> > > a bit of refactoring paired with a local_irq_save/restore should fix that.
> >
> > For this current code, you don't seem to need to delete the timer. I think
> > you'll have to find a way to do the timer_pending check and the add_timer_on
> > operations atomically wrt timer wheel execution on the CPU (which can be a
> > remote cpu because preemption is enabled). Your case is a bit weird.. the
> > typical scenario here would be to use add_timer_on directly to re-arm the timer
> > for a future expiration time (removing the current pending timer
> > unconditionnally at the same time). But you leave the timer at its current
> > expiration time if present, and only if not present add it. I wonder if it's
> > really your intent ?
> >

> Yes, thats my intent. The idea is that when I note a packet is lost, I record
> that in a data buffer that is part of an skb, and schedule a timer to send that
> skb a second or so later. Other drops in that time frame are recorded within
> the same skb. Since the drop monitor isn't built as a module currently, I don't
> need to worry about deleting the timer at all, I can just let it expire.
>
> Sounds like I need to wrap up the data extract and time modifications in a
> prempt_disable/enable and local_irq_save/restore set
> Neil

I fear this will probably break the RT kernel, because the timer spinlocks
become sleepable (I had the same issue within LTTng). Another approach you could
try is to add a new member to the timer API, which hold the local timer base
lock while:

if the timer is already pending
- waits for already executing timers to complete their execution.
- add_timer_on local cpu with new expiration.
else
- do nothing

Thanks,

Mathieu