Re: Is kernel optimized with dead store removal?

From: Roel Kluin
Date: Thu Feb 25 2010 - 10:19:30 EST

> > Does this optimization also occur during compilation of the Linux
> > kernel?

> Any such dead store removal is up to the compiler and the lifetime
> of the object being clobbered. For 'auto' objects the optimization
> is certainly likely.
>
> This is only a problem if the memory (a thread stack, say) is recycled
> and leaked uninitialized to user-space, but such bugs are squashed
> fairly quickly upon discovery.

Thanks for comments,

In the sha1_update() case I don't know whether the stack is recycled and
leaked - it may be dependent on the calling function, but isn't it
vulnerable?

I tested this with the snippet below. If compiled with -O1 or -O2 and
ON_STACK defined 1, I can read "Secret" a second time. With ON_STACK
defined 0 I do not.

Roel

---
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define ON_STACK 1

void foo()
{
char password[] = "secret";
password[0]='S';
printf ("Don't show again: %s\n", password);
memset(password, 0, sizeof(password));
}

void foo2()
{
char* password = malloc(7);
strncpy (password, "secret" , 7);
password[6] = '\0';
password[0] = 'S';
printf ("Don't show again: %s\n", password);
memset(password, 0, 7);
free(password);

}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])