Re: [RFC patch] introduce sys_membarrier(): process-wide memorybarrier (v9)

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Feb 25 2010 - 11:53:16 EST

* Nick Piggin (npiggin@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:22:52AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Nick Piggin (npiggin@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > It's a good point, I think having at least the ability to do
> > > process-shared or process-private in the first version of the API might
> > > be a good idea. That matches glibc's synchronisation routines so it
> > > would probably be a desirable feature even if you don't implement it in
> > > your library initially.
> >
> > I am tempted to say that we should probably wait for users of this API feature
> > to manifest themselves before we go on and implement it. This will ensure that
> > we don't end up maintaining an unused feature and this provides a minimum
> > testability. For now, returning -EINVAL seems like an appropriate response for
> > this system call feature.
>
> It would be very trivial compared to the process-private case. Just IPI
> all CPUs. It would allow older kernels to work with newer process based
> apps as they get implemented. But... not a really big deal I suppose.

This is actually what I did in v1 of the patch, but this implementation met
resistance from the RT people, who were concerned about the impact on RT tasks
of a lower priority process doing lots of sys_membarrier() calls. So if we want
to do other-process-aware sys_membarrier(), we would have to iterate on all
cpus, for every running process shared memory maps and see if there is something
shared with all shm of the current process. This is clearly not as trivial as
just broadcasting the IPI to all cpus.

> > As I said above, given the exensible nature of the sys_membarrier flags, we can
> > assign a MEMBARRIER_SHARED_MEM or something like that to a mandatory flag bit
> > later on. So when userspace start using this flag on old kernels that do not
> > support it, -EINVAL will be returned, and then the application will know it must
> > use a fallback. So, basically, we don't even need to define this flag now.
> >

> > > When writing multiprocessor scalable software, threads should often be
> > > avoided. They share so much state that it is easy to run into
> > > scalability issues in the kernel. So yes it would be really nice to
> > > have userspace RCU available in a process-shared mode.
> > >

> > Agreed, although some major modifications would also be needed in the userspace
> > RCU library to do that, because it currently rely on being able to access other
> > thread's TLS.
>
> OK. It would be a good feature to keep in mind, I believe.

Sure.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--