Re: [GIT PULL] notification: including fanotify

From: Eric Paris
Date: Sat Feb 27 2010 - 18:50:21 EST

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 13:29 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Eric Paris wrote:
> >
> > This tree has the part of the notification changes which have existed
> > for better than a year in linux-next. They finish the inotify->fsnotify
> > transition and rip out the old inotify in-kernel interface. It
> > implements fanotify as a notifier only.
>
> I was going to pull this, but
>
> (a) that "notifier only" part seems to be incorrect. It has at least the
> Kconfig part of the "let's also allow fanotify to do security
> checks.

Honestly I just forgot the permissions code was in -next (and has been
since before 2.6.32 opened now that I think about it). I remembered to
drop that stuff for my 2.6.32 pull request (which came in WAY to late
for you to care about) but forgot I needed to pull it back out this
time. It will be dropped (even though I think it's good to go, limiting
what I'm trying to get Al/hch to look at is my only hope)

> (b) the compile has obviously never been tested with any modern gcc
> version. I get tons of warnings after the pull, like
>
> In file included from fs/notify/fsnotify.h:6,
> from fs/notify/fsnotify.c:28:
> include/linux/fsnotify.h: In function âfsnotify_oldname_initâ:
> include/linux/fsnotify.h:313: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of âkstrdupâ differ in signedness
> include/linux/string.h:118: note: expected âconst char *â but argument is of type âconst unsigned char *â
> include/linux/fsnotify.h:313: warning: pointer targets in return differ in signedness
> In file included from fs/notify/fsnotify.h:6,
> from fs/notify/group.c:28:
>
> which is totally unacceptable. I'm not going to merge code that adds
> warnings like these. You can argue whether the warning is really
> something gcc should warn about or not, but it really doesn't matter.
>
> Adding lots of noisy warnings is unacceptable, and I'm upset that you
> even pushed something to me with apparently _zero_ testing (or a total
> disregard for a clean compile).

No question this was my stupidity. When I was rebasing my stuff on top
of your tree to make sure it would merge nicely before I ask for a pull
this patch had conflicts. While resolving the conflict I added the -W
to the Makefile to make sure that I didn't screw up the point of the
patch. I knew the warnings were going to pop out and I just ignored
them. I guess I managed to save the Makefile by accident. Obviously
I'm going to fix that patch to what it's been in -next (where sfr has
been handling the conflict)

/me sets the clock for one week for next pull request.

-Eric