Re: linux-next requirements

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 02:15:12 EST

* Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > - and without burdening developers to consider cases they have no good
> > ways to test. Why should rare architectures be more important than those
> > other rare forms of Linux usage?
>
> Because the Linus' tree is supposed to build on those architectures. [...]

That's not actually true: Linus on multiple occasions has said that only the
major architectures (x86, powerpc, ARM and a few others) are 'required' to
build and that the others should be left to fail to build and should be
_forced to get their act together_.

> [...] As long as that's the case, linux-next should build on them too.

No, and IMO linux-next is clearly over-interpreting this bit. Linux is not
supposed to build on all architectures. Maybe that's a core bit of a
misunderstanding (on either my or on sfr's side) and it should be clarified

Ingo