Re: use of setjmp/longjmp in x86 emulator.

From: Takuya Yoshikawa
Date: Mon Mar 01 2010 - 08:15:21 EST

Gleb Natapov wrote:
I am looking at improving KVM x86 emulator. Current code does not

Does your plan also include making the emulator independent of KVM?
Could you tell me about the future plan if possible?

handle some special cases correctly (code execution from ROM, ins/outs
to/from MMIO) and many exception conditions during instruction emulation
are not handled correctly. There is a lot of code in emulator that is
there only for exception propagation. Using setjmp/longjmp will be very
beneficial here as exception condition during instruction execution
maps very naturally to setjmp/longjmp, so my question is what about
adding setjmp/longjmp implementation to the kernel, or alternatively,
if there is a fear that it can be abused, add it locally to emulator.c?
Note that instruction emulation is always done in process context.

--
Gleb.