Re: evdev keyboard driver stopped working after upgrading from Kernel 2.6.33-rc8 to 2.6.33 (official release)

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 08:27:07 EST

Zeno Davatz <zdavatz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 21:45 +0100, Zeno Davatz wrote:
>
>>> I am always updating to the latest rc Kernel Release, that Linus shares via Git.
>>>
>>> I also upgraded to the latest stable kernel version after rc-8, to
>>> 2.6.33. But since I am on 2.6.33 my Xorg evdev-Driver stopped working.
>>> I can hit any key on the keyboard, but nothing will happen. The mouse
>>> and the graphics are just fine and work well.
>>>
>>> I have an Asus Eeepc 1101HA, with Gentoo and the psb-kmod driver compiled.
>>>
>>> Xorg starts just fine, does not crash but the keyboard does not react.
>>>
>>> Everything worked fine on 2.6.33-rc8.
>>>
>>> Any hints what changed from 2.6.33-rc8 to 2.6.33 stable that made my
>>> keyboard stop reacting?
>>>
>>> Let me know and I will test.
>>
>> I don't see any obvious candidates rc8->final.  There's _very_ little
>> for input.
>>
>> On the bright side, there are only 225 commits, so a bisection should be
>> almost painless.  That's probably your best bet for rapid resolution.
>
> Is there a possibility that something changed between rc2 and final,
> something that would concern the evdev driver or the keyboard input?
> It seems that /dev/input/event5 where the keyboard is found does not
> pass anything on to Xorg.

The inputX numbers are not stable. I've had better luck using lines
like this in xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
[...]
Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-_USB_Keyboard-event-kbd"
EndSection

This symlink will always point to whatever input device that keyboard
gets assigned to.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@xxxxxxxxx