Re: USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 13:07:37 EST

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 15:41 +0000, Paul Mundt wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 03:29:38PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 14:21 +0000, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > The thing which was discovered in this thread is basically that ARM is
> > > handling deferred flushing (for D/I coherency) in a slightly different
> > > way from everyone else ...
> >
> > Doing a grep for PG_dcache_dirty defined in terms of PG_arch_1 reveals
> > that MIPS, Parisc, Score, SH and SPARC do similar things to ARM. PowerPC
> > and IA-64 use PG_arch_1 as a clean rather than dirty bit.
>
> SH used to use it as a PG_mapped which was roughly similar to the
> PG_dcache_clean approach, at which point things like flushing for the PIO
> case in the HCD wasn't necessary. It did result in rather aggressive over
> flushing though, which is one of the reasons we elected to switch to
> PG_dcache_dirty.

Are you more in favour if a PIO kmap API than inverting the meaning of
PG_arch_1?

I'm not familiar with SH but for PIO devices the flushing shouldn't be
more aggressive. For the DMA devices, Russell suggested that we mark the
page as clean (set PG_dcache_clean) in the DMA API to avoid the default
flushing.

> Note that the PG_dcache_dirty semantics are also outlined in
> Documentation/cachetlb.txt for PG_arch_1 usage, so it's hardly esoteric.

Yes, but the flush_dcache_page() semantics outlined in the same file
aren't followed by all the PIO drivers in the kernel.

--
Catalin