Re: [git pull] drm request 3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 14:39:44 EST

On 03/04/2010 02:04 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
"Please note that these drivers are under heavy development, may or may
not work, and may contain userspace interfaces that most likely will be
changed in the near future."

Shipping it as the default Fedora driver for NVIDIA hardware makes that text largely irrelevant.

Jesse said
Dave and the nouveau guys include the driver in Fedora to get
much needed test coverage, and make sure the latest bits in rawhide
work together.

but when it is the default driver, it is the default _production_ driver for Fedora users, in an official, stable Fedora release.

And the alternative? You said
F-12 continues to ship the -nv driver, which will work fine with any
kernel version as long as nouveau is disabled.

FAIL. I actually tried that. Have you? Do you think it is remotely easy for a technically component, non-Xorg-hacker type to accomplish?

I attempted to use the non-default 'nv' driver just before nouveau was merged into upstream/staging, because I wanted a development kernel that actually worked on my Fedora-based devel boxes. It was a complete exercise in frustration, requiring at least one bugzilla bug report, and ultimately resulted in failure.

I gave up and waiting for Linus to merge nouveau, which instantly made my life a lot easier :)

Kernel hacking on Fedora, my own dogfood, has become increasingly cumbersome because of all these graphics issues. Sometimes it's just easier to test a modern kernel on an ancient distro, sadly.

Jeff