Re: [git pull] drm request 3

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 14:53:13 EST

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:41:22AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Is there some model of versioning inside X _except_ for the "it won't
> work" kind of thing? Can we fix this going forward, so that you can have
> _real_ versioning (ie multiple installed versions of a libdrm, the way you
> can have concurrently multiple installed versions of glibc?)

There isn't. I don't think there's any intrinsic difficulty in doing so,
other than the buildsystems and X's own unstable driver API.

> IOW, we have a real technical problem here. Are you just going to continue
> to make excuses about it?

I'm not questioning the fact that it would be preferable to provide
compatibility. But that compatibility doesn't come for free - someone
has to implement it, and when your developer base is almost entirely
made up of people who are doing this because they find it fun and
interesting rather than because they're paid to, who's going to do it
and what functionality is going to be delayed as a result?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx