Re: [git pull] drm request 3

From: tytso
Date: Sat Mar 06 2010 - 17:39:27 EST

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 08:52:35PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > They want the benefits of lots of testers, without wanting to be
> > courteous to those testers.
>
> Except for the small rather important detail that the Nouveau developers
> didn't ask for it to be merged in the first place.

*Someone* on the Red Hat/Fedora team made the decision to make it
available on a very popular distribution to get more testing. And
they did it without putting in the necessary versioning so that kernel
testers could test upstream kernels. That, in my book, is an
anti-social thing to do. Fedora isn't alone, of course; Ubuntu does
this as well, and worse yet, with proprietary binary drivers. But
just because Ubuntu does something worse, doesn't mean that Fedora
should get a free pass for what they did.

- Ted