Re: BUG: Is it a bug in Linux time() function or Linux OS calls?

From: David Newall
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 03:47:58 EST

Dear Srinivas Nayak,

I don't suppose you're writing to a network mounted disk, with the network device's clock about half a second behind your test machine? Otherwise -- and I'm just guessing here, and will leave it to you to UTSL -- this could be explained by use of two different algorithms for converting a higher-resolution time source to the one-second resolution. A truncation algorithm versus a rounding algorithm could produce the result you demonstrate.

Regards,

David