Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Thu Mar 11 2010 - 10:08:42 EST

Hello,

On 03/12/2010 12:00 AM, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:
> But the actual problem here is that partitioning tools might create
> partitions that wont allow other operating-systems to boot. So it
> might be enough, if the partitioning tools just create partitions
> with (mis-)alignment requirement for Windows.

Turns out XP is generally OK. The reported problem was only on
specific configurations (some BIOS stuff). Windows 2000 reportedly
would be hurt but I really think we don't have to care about that too
much. So, it seems like we wouldn't have to worry too much about it
and just go ahead with new alignment schemes. I'll update the doc
this weekend with new information from this now rather large thread.

Thanks.

--
tejun