Sony laptop backlight has much coarser steps than a couple yearsago.

From: Robin Holt
Date: Fri Mar 12 2010 - 12:42:54 EST

A long time ago, my laptop (Sony VAIO VGN-FE550G) had xbacklight steps
that were very fine grained and could step down to the point where text
was difficult to read at the edges of the screen. This was beneficial
for preserving battery life.

An update a couple years ago of something, and I don't recall what,
turned the steps into very coarse steps (1/7).

How would I start going about finding the restriction on the number of
steps and increasing it to a larger value?

Thanks,
Robin Holt