Re: Linux kernel - Libata bad block error handling to user mode program

From: s ponnusa
Date: Sat Mar 13 2010 - 17:44:15 EST

Had some issues with the libata in 2.6.27 kernel's libata code, but
believe the issues were fixed in the subsequent versions. Atleast one
prominent issue was with a Western Digital HDD of 40 GB size. The
manufacturer specific LBA was 78125000 and was reported as correctly
in Win32 and DOS applications. But the 2.6.27 kernel was reporting
~40000 sectors more. But the problem dissappeared with the 2.6.3x
kernel and I did not bother to check the patches due to lack of time.
But still, the write's failure is not being seen by the application. I
can understand the fact of not checking the media errors during the
write operation, and had posted a request for a quick suggestions of
the locations which needs to be changed / checked for the return
value. ( Should it be handled at the vfs or at the libata code?). Will
surely update the testing results with the new kernel (Well, not
exactly as I am not using the latest version though! Currently trying
with 2.6.31). Thank you all for suggestions.
-
SP