Re: Linux kernel - Libata bad block error handling to user mode program

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sun Mar 14 2010 - 12:02:21 EST

On 03/11/10 13:29, Greg Freemyer wrote:

But really.. isn't "hdparm --security-erase NULL /dev/sdX" good enough ???

This thread seems to have died off. If there is a real problem, I
hope it picks back up.

Mark, as to your question the few times I've tried that the bios on
the test machine blocked the command. So it may have some specific
utility, but it's a not a generic solution in my mind.
..

Yeah, a lot of BIOSs do a "SECURITY FREEZE" command before booting,
which disables things like "SECURITY ERASE" until the next hard reset.

So, on a Linux system, just unplug the drive after booting, replug it,
and usually it can then be erased.

But yeah.. that all makes things tricker for non-techies.

Cheers