Re: [RFC] remove implicit slab.h inclusion from percpu.h

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 05:06:36 EST

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Pekka Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Alexey Dobriyan kirjoitti:

>>> This is done by compile testing, not by being smartass.
>>
>> I don't think compile testing is going to scale here because slab is used is
>> so many places of the kernel.
>
> Sigh.
>
> If you want to skip compile testing, just say so in changelog.

Hey, "sigh" right back at you, Alexey!

I am not saying I want to skip "compile testing", I'm just stating the
obvious fact: for a header such as slab.h that's implicitly needed in
pretty much everywhere, it's very difficult to find all the relevant
broken configurations. I don't see the benefit of breaking the world
for this cleanup as Ingo's suggestion will eventually get us to the
exact same situation _without_ causing tree-wide breakage.

Pekka