Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 13:15:12 EST

On 03/17/2010 08:08 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
On 03/16/2010 06:21 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
The only reason I see to care about CHS at all is that there are
systems in the field which can only boot from USB in CHS mode, and
which often look at the MBR partition table to guess the geometry. Of
course, some then *report* the detected geometry but don't *use* the
detected geometry...

These systems, given the changes in modern microsoft releases, must be
doomed even without any effort on our part.

I still think that we should work to make this ancient stuff disappear &
help force the legacy edge cases to modernize. It has been some huge
amount of time since storage vendors pretty much abandoned CHS (15
years? 20?) :-)

I wish. This is mostly systems from the first half of the 2000's timeframe. There was a *huge* regression when BIOS vendors started doing USB boot; almost all of them introduced major bugs at that time; in many cases they still haven't been fixed.

-hpa