Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

From: Alexander Graf
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 05:24:47 EST

On 18.03.2010, at 09:56, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Of course illogical modularization complicates things 'significantly'.
>>
>> Who should own the user interface then?
>
> If qemu was in tools/kvm/ then we wouldnt have such issues. A single patch (or
> series of patches) could modify tools/kvm/, arch/x86/kvm/, virt/ and
> tools/perf/.

It's not a 1:1 connection. There are more users of the KVM interface. To name a few I'm aware of:

- Mac-on-Linux (PPC)
- Dolphin (PPC)
- Xenner (x86)
- Kuli (s390)

Having a clear userspace interface is the only viable solution there. And if you're interested, look at my MOL enabling patch. It's less than 500 lines of code.

The kernel/userspace interface really isn't the difficult part. Getting device emulation working properly, easily and fast is.

Alex--