Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 10:44:19 EST

On 03/17/2010 03:10 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
- move a clean (and minimal) version of the Qemu code base to tools/kvm/, in
the upstream kernel repo, and work on that from that point on.

QEMU is about 600k LOC. We have a mechanism to compile out portions of the code but a lot things are tied together in an intimate way. In the long run, we're working on adding stronger interfaces such that we can split components out into libraries that are consumable by other applications.

Simplying forking the device model won't work. Well more than half of our contributors are not coming from KVM developers/users. If you just fork the device models, you start to lose a ton of fixes (look at Xen and VirtualBox).

So feel free to either 1) apply my previous patch and then start working on a "clean (and minimal)" QEMU or 2) wait to commit my previous patch and start sending patches to clean up QEMU.

Absolute none of this is going to give you a VirtualBox like GUI for QEMU.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori