Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 13:12:45 EST

* Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/18/2010 06:13 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > Currently there's a wall between kernel developers and user-space
> > developers, and there's somewhat of an element of fear and arrogance on
> > both sides. For efficient technology such walls needs torn down and people
> > need a bit more experience with each other's areas.
>
> I think you're increasing the height of that wall by arguing that a
> userspace project cannot be successful because it's development process
> sucks and the only way to fix it is to put it into the kernel where people
> know so much better. Instead we kernel developers should listen to
> requirements from users, even if their code isn't in tools/.

No, it's tearing down that wall because finally, instead of providing rather
abstract system calls that are designed perfectly, the kernel can operate by
providing useful libraries and apps.

At least on the context i've worked on it has torn down walls and has improved
the efficiency of working on ABIs towards user-space. (sysprof is an example
of that)

Kernel developers are finally faced with user-space development directly, in
the same repository, using the same rules of contribution.

Non-kernel-hosted apps win from that process too, as even if they dont
integrate (because they dont want to or cannot for license reasons) they can
participate in a more direct (and more practical) exchange with kernel
developers. They can contribute a new system call and create a library
function for it straight away.

Ingo