Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 03:13:42 EST

On 03/21/2010 11:54 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03/21/2010 10:55 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
Of course you could say the following:

' Thanks, I'll mark this for v2.6.36 integration. Note that we are not
able to add this to the v2.6.35 kernel queue anymore as the ongoing
usability work already takes up all of the project's maintainer and
testing bandwidth. If you want the feature to be merged sooner than that
then please help us cut down on the TODO and BUGS list that can be found
at XYZ. There's quite a few low hanging fruits there. '
That would be shooting at my own foot as well as the contributor's since I
badly want that RCU stuff, and while a GUI would be nice, that itch isn't on
my back.
I think this sums up the root cause of all the problems i see with KVM pretty
well.

I think we agree at last. Neither I nor my employer are interested in running qemu as a desktop-on-desktop tool, therefore I don't invest any effort in that direction, or require it from volunteers.

If you think a good GUI is so badly needed, either write one yourself, or convince someone else to do it.

(btw, why are you interested in desktop-on-desktop? one use case is developers, which don't really need fancy GUIs; a second is people who test out distributions, but that doesn't seem to be a huge population; and a third is people running Windows for some application that doesn't run on Linux - hopefully a small catergory as well. Seems to be quite a small target audience, compared to, say, video editing)