Re: better/faster kernel tarball compression

From: Alexander Clouter
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 08:25:10 EST

Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 403804160 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar
>> 67479563 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar.bz2
>> 58452531 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar.lz
>
> Speaking of file sizes, xz[1] already provides better compression:
>
> xz -k -9 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar
>
> 55320408 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar.xz
>
> xz -e -k -9 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar
>
> 54800808 linux-2.6.34-rc2.tar.xz
>
> One drawback of xz is that it's not multi-threaded, much like bzip2 or
> gzip; would be great if it could be changed.

For some time there has been a multi-threaded bzip2 called
pbzip2[1], for some time; hell even Debian has it :)

I have no idea why the original poster is trying to say how "all teh
awesome" his code is being faster, well 'duh' it is using all the cores
on $BOX rather than just a single one.

I would be interested in comparisons against pbzip2 and the amusingly
named pigz[2]...plus a bunch of memory use comparisons, my AR7 board
only has 16MB of RAM :)

Cheers

[1] http://compression.ca/pbzip2/ - supports stdio (de)compression
[2] http://www.zlib.net/pigz/ - no idea if this supports stdio

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Approved for veterans.