Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 13:52:47 EST

Hi Avi,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It's kinda funny to see people argue that having an external
>> repository is not a problem and that it's not a big deal if building
>> something from the repository is slightly painful as long as it
>> doesn't require a PhD when we have _real world_ experience that it
>> _does_ limit developer base in some cases. Whether or not that applies
>> to kvm remains to be seen but I've yet to see a convincing argument
>> why it doesn't.
>
> qemu has non-Linux developers.  Not all of their contributions are relevant
> to kvm but some are.  If we pull qemu into tools/kvm, we lose them.

Yeah, you probably would but the hypothesis is that you'd end up with
a bigger net developer base for the _Linux_ version. Now you might not
think that's important but I certainly do and I think Ingo does as
well. ;-)

That said, pulling 400 KLOC of code into the kernel sounds really
excessive. Would we need all that if we just do native virtualization
and no actual emulation?

Pekka