Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 14:57:35 EST

On 03/22/2010 08:10 PM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That said, pulling 400 KLOC of code into the kernel sounds really
excessive. Would we need all that if we just do native virtualization
and no actual emulation?
What is native virtualization and no actual emulation?
What I meant with "actual emulation" was running architecture A code
on architecture B what was qemu's traditional use case. So the
question was how much of the 400 KLOC do we need for just KVM on all
the architectures that it supports?

qemu is 620 KLOC. Without cpu emulation that drops to ~480 KLOC. Much of that is device emulation that is not supported by kvm now (like ARM) but some might be needed again in the future (like ARM).

x86-only is perhaps 300 KLOC, but kvm is not x86 only.

And that is with a rudimentary GUI. GUIs are heavy.