Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 15:12:33 EST

* Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/22/2010 06:32 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > So, what do you think creates code communities and keeps them alive?
> > Developers and code. And the wellbeing of developers are primarily
> > influenced by the repository structure and by the development/maintenance
> > process - i.e. by the 'fun' aspect. (i'm simplifying things there but
> > that's the crux of it.)
>
> There is nothing fun about having one repository or two. Who cares about
> this anyway?
>
> tools/kvm/ probably will draw developers, simply because of the glory
> associated with kernel work. That's a bug, not a feature. It means that
> effort is not distributed according to how it's needed, but because of
> irrelevant considerations.

And yet your solution to that is to ... do all your work in the kernel space
and declare the tooling as something that does not interest you? ;-)

> Something I've wanted for a long time is to port kvm_stat to use tracepoints
> instead of the home-grown instrumentation. But that is unrelated to this
> new tracepoint. Other than that we're satisfied with ftrace.

Despite it being another in-kernel subsystem that by your earlier arguments
should be done via a user-space package? ;-)

> > You should realize that naturally developers will gravitate towards the
> > most 'fun' aspects of a project. It is the task of the maintainer to keep
> > the balance between fun and utility, bugs and features, quality and
> > code-rot.
>
> There are plenty of un-fun tasks (like fixing bugs and providing RAS
> features) that we're doing. We don't do this for fun but to satisfy our
> users.

So which one is it, KVM developers are volunteers that do fun stuff and cannot
be told about project priorities, or KVM developers are pros who do unfun
stuff because they can be told about priorities?

I posit that it's both: and that priorities can be communicated - if only you
try as a maintainer. All i'm suggesting is to add 'usable, unified user-space'
to the list of unfun priorities, because it's possible and because it matters.

Ingo