Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 15:48:41 EST

On 03/22/2010 09:27 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

If your position basically boils down to, we can't trust userspace
and we can always trust the kernel, I want to eliminate any
userspace path, then I can't really help you out.
Why would you want to 'help me out'? I can tell a good solution from a bad one
just fine.

You are basically making a kernel implementation a requirement, instead of something that follows from the requirement.

You should instead read the long list of disadvantages above, invert them and
list then as advantages for the kernel-based vcpu enumeration solution, apply
common sense and go admit to yourself that indeed in this situation a kernel
provided enumeration of vcpu contexts is the most robust solution.

Having qemu enumerate guests one way or another is not a good idea IMO since it is focused on one guest and doesn't have a system-wide entity. A userspace system-wide entity will work just as well as kernel implementation, without its disadvantages.