Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Joerg Roedel
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 11:59:32 EST

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 05:49:42PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 05:46 PM, Joerg Roedel wrote:

>>> The problem is /sys/kvm, not /sys/kvm/fs.
>>>
>> I am not tied to /sys/kvm. We could also use /proc/<pid>/kvm/ for
>> example. This would keep anything in the process space (except for the
>> global list of VMs which we should have anyway).
>>

> How about ~/.qemu/guests/$pid?

That makes it hard for perf to find it and even harder to get a list of
all VMs. With /proc/<pid>/kvm/guest we could symlink all guest
directories to /proc/kvm/ and perf reads the list from there. Also perf
can easily derive the directory for a guest from its pid.
Last but not least its kernel-created and thus independent from the
userspace part being used.

Joerg