Re: Major Linux sound bugs

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 20:51:32 EST

On 03/24/2010 01:12 PM, turbolad995@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi. I don't know who to contact about this, but nobody seems to know
how to fix this problem or where/why it's occurring. Here's the
lowdown: in Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, some programs will
only work with sound when you close ALL other programs first. I've
mentioned this on Launchpad, but nobody seems to know why or how to
fix it.

Thank you for reading.

This isn't a kernel issue. Usually this is due to those programs incorrectly accessing device-specific ALSA devices like "hw:0", etc. rather than just using the "default" PCM device. Doing this bypasses software mixing and requires exclusive access to the sound device.