Re: [linux-pm] what the patches do Re: [RFC 10/15] PM / Hibernate:user, implement user_ops reader

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Thu Mar 25 2010 - 17:48:38 EST

Hi.

On 26/03/10 08:26, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

I'm asking because if we're going to make a go of getting the in-kernel
code in much better shape, and we have Rafael, Jiri and I - and you? -
all pulling in the same direction to improve it, there's going to come a
point (hopefully not too far away) where uswsusp is just making life too
difficult, and getting rid of it will be a big help.

We're not dropping user space interfaces used by every distro I know of.

Good.

So what's your long term plan then?

First, improve the in-kernel thing, second, switch people to it, _then_ remove
the s2disk interface (after we're reasonably sure it's not used by any major
distro) and _finally_ simplify things after it's been removed.

I'd really prefer to keep s2disk interface. It allows advanced stuff
like internet suspend resume (yep someone is doing it), crazy stuff
like multiple resumes from same image for fast booting (yep, some
embedded people are doing that) and might-be-useful stuff like
s2both...

Neither of those are impossible with in-kernel code, so I'd argue that there's no need to keep the s2disk interface long-term. Userspace helpers might be necessary for the first one (to manage the network interface), but I already have multiple-resumes-from-the-same-image support in TuxOnice (and more 'crazy stuff' like support for resuming a different image after writing one - that can be used to switch to an initramfs containing the binaries needed to power down a UPS).

Regards,

Nigel