Re: [patch 0/2] Run interrupt handlers always with interrupts disabled

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Fri Mar 26 2010 - 08:06:43 EST

Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> > > I don't think it's as rare as you think particularly in embedded, and the
> > > moment you start explicitly using local_irq_enable() you've simply moved
> > > the underlying problem back and made it far harder to grep for.
> >
> > We've got local_irq_enable_in_hardirq() which should be used and can
> > easily be grep'ed for.
> >
> > But yes, I would much prefer to simply convert these known slow handlers
> > to threaded interrupts.
>
> Can't do that. The smc91x has a very small internal buffer which has to
> be emptied using PIO. Threaded interrupts simply have too high
> latencies for overruns not to occur. That's why the RX path is entirely
> done in hardirq context while the TX path is done in softirq context.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to find threaded interrupts are too
slow on certain hardware, is that _fundamental_ to threaded
interrupts, or is it just that our implementation doesn't have the
funky hot path straight direct from hardirq -> running high priority
RT irq thread when it exceeds previously running priority?

In other words, can we swizzle threaded irqs into something more
resembling software-implemented hard irq priorities, while cunningly
updating the kernel state just enough to look like it's a thread?

-- Jamie