Re: [GIT, RFC] Killing the Big Kernel Lock

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sat Mar 27 2010 - 10:38:14 EST

On Saturday 27 March 2010 00:47:33 Stefan Richter wrote:

> firewire-core and raw1394 do not actually require the BKL, they only
> miss to declare their files as not seekable. I will post patches which
> change these accordingly.
>
> My guess is that there is nothing to seek in dv1394, video1394, and
> firedtv either.
>
> Needless to say, there may be other character device file interfaces
> which cannot be seeked but don't admit it yet.

Your patches look good, but it would be helpful to also set .llseek = no_llseek
in the file operations, because that is much easier to grep for than
only the nonseekable_open. While it's technically a NOP on the presence of
nonseekable_open, it will help that I don't accidentally apply my patch on
top of yours.

Arnd