Re: [2.6.34-rc2 NFS4 oops] open error path failure...

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 17:22:31 EST

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 20:03 +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 07:36:45PM +0100, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> > Hi Trond,
> >
> > When open fails and should return EPERM [1], instead we see an oops
> > [2]. I see this on 2.6.34-rc1 and -rc2 mainline; NFS4 server is
> > mainline 2.6.33.1.
> >
> > Let me know if you can't reproduce it and I'll provide some analysis
> > from this end.
>
> Joy... ERR_PTR(-EPERM) in nd.intent.file, and whoever had called
> lookup_instantiate_filp() hadn't bothered to check the return value.
>
> OK, I think I see what's going on. Replace
> lookup_instantiate_filp(nd, (struct dentry *)state, NULL);
> return 1;
> with
> lookup_instantiate_filp(nd, (struct dentry *)state, NULL);
> return state;
> in fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c:nfs4_open_revalidate() and see if everything works
> properly (or just lose the lookup_instantiate_filp() in there and simply
> return state).

So this raises a point. Originally, the d_revalidate() call was required
to return a boolean 0 or 1. Nowadays it allows the filesystem to return
an error value instead.

Should we therefore rewrite the NFS implementation to propagate errors
like ESTALE (when it means the parent directory is gone), EACCES, EPERM
and EIO instead of the current behaviour of just dropping the dentry and
hence forcing a lookup?

Trond