Re: Config NO_BOOTMEM breaks my amd64 box

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 14:59:50 EST

* James Morris <jmorris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > On 03/30/2010 09:49 PM, James Morris wrote:
> > >
> > > Please make NO_BOOTMEM default to n, at least for amd64, where I've found
> > > that it leads to all kinds of strange, undebuggable boot hangs and errors
> > > (with relatively current Fedora development userland).
> >
> > Have you tested it with the latest fixes that are now in Linus' tree (-rc3)?
>
> Yes, it was happening with -rc3.

Could you please send the bootlog that Yinghai asked for, plus also one that
you get with NO_BOOTMEM turned off (for comparison)?

Also, when did you first hit this bug? This code has been upstream for almost
a month, and it was in linux-next before that - so you should have hit this
much sooner. A rough timeframe would suffice. I suppose you were booting
upstream kernels during the merge window as well?

We can flip the default around if there's no fix available based on the
bootlogs. (Plus the help text should definitely be improved.)

Thanks,

Ingo