Re: A few questions and issues with dynticks, NOHZ and powertop

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sun Apr 04 2010 - 16:47:37 EST

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 06:39:24PM +0200, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:17:37AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> >
> > > Booting a SMP-capable kernel with "nosmp", or manually offlining one CPU
> > > (or -- though I haven't tested it -- booting a SMP-capable kernel on a
> > > system with merely one CPU) means that in up to about half of the calls to
> > > tick_nohz_stop_sched_tick() are aborted due to rcu_needs_cpu(). This is
> > > quite strange to me: AFAIK, RCU is an excellent tool for SMP, but not really
> > > needed for UP?
> >
> > I can't answer the real question here, not knowing enough about the RCU
> > implementation. However, your impression is wrong: RCU very definitely
> > _is_ useful and needed on UP systems. It coordinates among processes
> > (and interrupt handlers) as well as among processors.
>
> Okay, but still: can't this be sped up by much on UP (especially if
> CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ is set), so that we can go to sleep right away?

One situation that will prevent CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ from putting the
machine to sleep right away is if there is an RCU callback posted that
spawns another RCU callback, and so on. CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ will handle
one callback that spawns another, but it gives up if the second callback
spawns a third.

Might this be what is happening to you?

If so, would you be willing to patch your kernel? RCU_NEEDS_CPU_FLUSHES
is currently set to 5, and might be set to (say) 8. This is defined
in kernel/rcutree_plugin.h, near line 990.

Another thing to try would be running with TINY_RCU, at least if it is
OK that RCU be non-preemptible.

Thanx, Paul