Re: hackbench regression due to commit 9dfc6e68bfe6e

From: Zhang, Yanmin
Date: Tue Apr 06 2010 - 04:26:38 EST

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 10:27 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 04/06/2010 02:30 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> >> Hmnmmm... The dynamic percpu areas use page tables and that data is used
> >> in the fast path. Maybe the high thread count causes tlb trashing?
> >
> > Hmm indeed. I don't see anything particularly funny in the SLUB percpu
> > conversion so maybe this is a more issue with the new percpu
> > allocator?
>
> By default, percpu allocator embeds the first chunk in the kernel
> linear mapping and accesses there shouldn't involve any TLB overhead.
> >From the second chunk on, they're mapped page-by-page into vmalloc
> area. This can be updated to use larger page mapping but 2M page
> per-cpu is pretty large and the trade off hasn't been right yet.
>
> The amount reserved for dynamic allocation in the first chunk is
> determined by PERCPU_DYNAMIC_RESERVE constant in
> include/linux/percpu.h. It's currently 20k on 64bit machines and 12k
> on 32bit. The intention was to size this such that most common stuff
> is allocated from this area. The 20k and 12k are numbers that I
> pulled out of my ass :-) with the custom config I used. Now that more
> stuff has been converted to dynamic percpu, it's quite possible that
> the area is too small. Can you please try to increase the size of the
> area (say 2 or 4 times) and see whether the performance regression
> goes away?
Thanks. I tried 2 and 4 times and didn't see much improvement.
I checked /proc/vamallocinfo and it doesn't have item of pcpu_get_vm_areas
when I use 4 times of PERCPU_DYNAMIC_RESERVE.

I used perf to collect dtlb misses and LLC misses. dtlb miss data is not
stable. Sometimes, we have a bigger dtlb miss, but get a better result.

LLC misses data are more stable. Only LLC-load-misses is the clear sign now.
LLC-store-misses has no big difference.