Re: [lm-sensors] regulator: regulator_get behaviour without CONFIG_REGULATOR set

From: Mark Brown
Date: Tue Apr 06 2010 - 14:19:13 EST

On 6 Apr 2010, at 17:25, Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 04/06/10 16:27, Liam Girdwood wrote:

I suppose this is something we may look into more when we have more
clients.
Makes sense. There will probably be quite a few IIO drivers over the next
few months doing much the same as sht15, where the voltage ref for devices
may well be fed by a regulator. In that case, we may only offer the option
of using an external v_ref if the regulator is available. Many devices have
an internal regulator to provide it so typically we'll start them up using that
and provide an interface to switch to external regulator if one is available.
I haven't thought through exactly how this will work as yet. I'll cc people in
when this comes up.

TBH this seems like a very vanilla use case - there may be some small advantage to representing the internal regulator via the regulator API but that's about the only thing I can think might be a bit odd.