Memory policy question for NUMA arch....

From: Rick Sherm
Date: Tue Apr 06 2010 - 15:36:02 EST

Hello,

On a NUMA host, if a driver calls __get_free_pages() then it will eventually invoke ->alloc_pages_current(..). The comment above/within alloc_pages_current() says 'current->mempolicy' will be used.So what memory policy will kick-in if the driver is trying to allocate some memory blocks during driver load time(say from probe_one)? System-wide default policy,correct?

What if the driver wishes to i) stay confined to a 'cpulist' OR ii) use a different mem-policy? How do I achieve this?
I will choose the 'cpulist' after I am successfuly able to affinitize the MSI-X vectors.

regards
Rick