Re: [lm-sensors] regulator: regulator_get behaviour withoutCONFIG_REGULATOR set

From: Mark Brown
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 07:57:18 EST

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:24:02PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 04/06/10 19:19, Mark Brown wrote:

> > TBH this seems like a very vanilla use case - there may be some small
> > advantage to representing the internal regulator via the regulator API
> > but that's about the only thing I can think might be a bit odd.

> I wasn't thinking of representing the internal regulator using the regulator
> framework (though if it is externally available I guess that would make sense
> though probably only if anyone is actually using this to supply something else
> - most likely case I can think of is daisy chaining multiple adc's and ensuring
> they have the same reference value).

Like I say, I think this is likely to be a small benefit from that. The
rest of what you're doing seems very vanilla.

> Nothing new here, but there will be a number of consumers that care about changes
> in voltage (rather than typically controlling it.) Hence I'm welcoming the change
> just agreed upon.

Note that you're not going to see any difference you can actually use
here - you still have to handle the possibility that you've got an
actual regulator but for some reason fail to read a voltage from it
which is the same behaviour that you see from the dummy regulator.