Re: [RFC] Initial OLPC Viafb merge

From: Florian Tobias Schandinat
Date: Fri Apr 09 2010 - 19:32:45 EST

Jonathan Corbet schrieb:
Sorry, the only working platform I had was the OLPC 2.6.31 tree, and
there was little point in publishing that by the time it was ready to
be seen. That said, I *did* point out the tree where the work could be
seen for anybody who was interested.

Well the time I looked in your tree I didn't see any of the remaining suspend/resume efforts. Okay perhaps I should have rechecked it now and than.
Please correct me if I am wrong but the remaining 6 patches concerning suspend&resume look like a real big FIXME. So at the end it is expected to work only on VX855 and needs something called OFW?
It doesn't seem to make much sense to review each of them because the following patches might or might not correct some of the issues of the other. It is really a pain to have 6 patches trying to add a single feature. Is there any way to fix this mess. (I assume you didn't merge them due to authorship issues?)
I think it might be better to drop those for now and wait for viafb to be in a better shape before adding this feature. The mode setting should be in a pretty good shape just 1 or 2 kernel versions ahead so that the dependency on OFW can be dropped I think.

Sorry but I really think this is not in a shape where merging it is an option. I think it would be better to skip those suspend/resume patches for the next merge window.

Thanks,

Florian Tobias Schandinat