Re: 2.6.33.2 does not boot on Atom?

From: Richard Zidlicky
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 07:12:20 EST

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:16:05PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:55:09PM +0200, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been compiling my own kernels since ages and switched from 2.6.32.8 to
> > 2.6.33.2 now.
> > Same procedure like allways - copied .config to new buildtree, make menuconfig
> > (almost nothing changed in config), installed the new kernel on 2 machines.
>
> Oops, that's the problem, you need to do 'make oldconfig' to ensure you
> didn't miss anything, and to adjust any new defaults.

did not tried that yet. Although it is possible to miss something with menuconfig
I did diff the .config files without noticing anything obvious.

Meanwhile I have tried a few recent Fedora-12 kernels and none of them worked on
this particular Atom Netbook with which I have never had problems before.
With the Fedora kernels the issue appears to be Intel graphics and it seems the boot
continued when I blindly typed the dm password.. so I will investigate further.
Last Fedora kernel that worked was 2.6.31 based, the 2.6.32.* I tried so far will
display a black screen.

Richard