Re: linux-ide: hda: possibly failed opcode: 0x25 on Alpha with 2.6.34-rc3

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 11:36:51 EST

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 01:26:59 am Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Dear IDE maintainers,

I'm flattered but nowadays I'm just a maintainer of a modest
out-of-tree project or two.. ;-)

> I recently installed Debian unstable on an old digital personal
> workstation 433au alpha (Miata) [1] with the default kernel 2.6.32
> from Debian unstable. There were no obvious problems except for the
> tulip network driver which produced a lot of noise [2]. Joe Perches was
> so kind to provide a patch to reduce the noise. I applied the patch
> against 2.6.34-rc3 and rebuilt the kernel with the 2.6.32 Debian
> config using "make oldconfig". The kernel build took around 18 hours ;).
>
> Anyway, after rebooting the machine into the new kernel (2.6.34-rc3), the
> IDE driver obviously triggered a lot of errors [3] resulting in the kernel
> not being able to mount the root partition.

I think that the highest chance of bringing the right people's
attention to this kernel regression would be achieved by filling
the official bug-report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/.

Thanks.
--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz