Re: USB transfer_buffer allocations on 64bit systems

From: Pedro Ribeiro
Date: Wed Apr 14 2010 - 21:20:36 EST

On 15 April 2010 00:37, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Pedro Ribeiro (pedrib@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>> > [  316.360045] DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [00:02.0] fault addr 23c00000
>> > [  316.360046] DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set
>> >
>> > That's your video device.  Do you have CONFIG_DMAR_BROKEN_GFX_WA=y?
>>
>> Where do I find this option in make menuconfig? Doesn't seem to be available...
>
> It's hidden behind CONFIG_BROKEN.  The iommu=pt test puts all devices in
> a 1:1 mapping (the broken graphics workaround does that just for all
> graphics devices).

>> > It should (it should at least eliminate the video device problem).
>>
>> You are right, it does eliminate that problem. However I can't get any
>> of the USB devices to work, and the mouse is terribly slow. One more
>> dmesg attached.
>
> Thanks.  It works for me here.  I just booted 2.6.33-rt4 on my T400 w/
> iommu on, and an external USB mouse is working fine (I don't have the
> same number of devices plugged in as you do).  You are not seeing DMA
> faults which suggest that the IOMMU mappings are correct w.r.t. the DMA
> transactions that the controller is initiating.
>
> thanks,
> -chris

I enabled CONFIG_DMAR_BROKEN_GFX_WA=y and the result is the same. A
delay in the boot process and usb devices don't work properly,
including my USB mouse.

Strange, since you have the same platform as me. The extra usb devices
you were seeing are because of my docking station - but it makes no
difference whether I'm docked or not for the purposes of the original
bug or this situation right now. The dmesg I'm attaching is without
the computer being docked.

Pedro