Re: [Bug #15544] black screen upon S3 resume, syslog has "render error" and "page table error"

From: Sanjoy Mahajan
Date: Sat Apr 17 2010 - 22:20:00 EST

Just 10 minutes ago I had a similar or maybe an identical problem: When
the laptop woke up from (S3) sleep, the screen was very dim and almost
black, although everything else seemed normal -- e.g. I could use my Fn
key bindings in twm, switch windows, type, switch to a console, etc..

The screen was so dim that I could barely see the outlines of the emacs
and xpdf windows. Restarting xdm (and therefore the X server) didn't
restore the brightness. But it probably is not a hardware problem,
because rebooting the laptop restored the brightness to normal.

-Sanjoy

`Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always
glorify the hunters.' --African Proverb