Newer kernel with newer NPTL?

From: Xianghua Xiao
Date: Mon Apr 19 2010 - 15:32:30 EST

I upgraded a 2.6.18-rt kernel to 2.6.33-rt and the my main
multi-thread application now consumes 12% cpu at idle, all threads are
a little bit busy while on 2.6.18-rt they are all quiet. I'm still
using glibc2.5/nptl. After spending a few days on
debugging/performance tuning the problem stays. Do I need upgrade
glibc/nptl to work with a newer kernel as far as performance is
concerned? This is a shipping product and we do not want to change
everything unless it's mandatory.

the WCHAN on 2.6.18 all showed "select" or "futex", on 2.6.33 it shows
"poll_schedule_timeout" or "futex_wait_queue_me" at idle, I wonder if
I need change 'select' in my application.

a bit off-topic here, thanks for any help.

xianghua