Re: [Patch 1/1] init: Provide a kernel start parameter to increasepid_max v2

From: John Stoffel
Date: Wed Apr 21 2010 - 16:10:49 EST

>>>>> "Hedi" == Hedi Berriche <hedi@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hedi> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 20:15 John Stoffel wrote:
Hedi> | >>>>> "Rik" == Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Hedi> |
Hedi> | Rik> That is 15 kernel threads per CPU.
Hedi> |
Hedi> | Rik> Reducing the number of kernel threads sounds like a
Hedi> | Rik> useful thing to do.
Hedi> |
Hedi> | Isn't that already a project?

Hedi> Yes, thanks to Alan's probing I looked it up

Hedi> http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/wq.git

Hedi> but we're definitely talking long term solution vs. something
Hedi> that can ease pain now.

It seems to me that running Linux on such a large machine is such a
specialized niche, the putting in your change to the regular kernel
isn't a near term need either. And from the sounds of it, Tejun's
work has better long term potential.

But hey, I'm generally clueless, so take what I say with a grain of
salt. :]

John