initramfs issue with console missing

From: Rishi Dhupar
Date: Thu Apr 22 2010 - 10:19:47 EST

I am trying to use initramfs to run an embedded linux device. I am
getting a kern warning printed during bootup that the kernel is unable
to open an initial console. My rootfs does not contain a /dev/console
node; I was expecting to be able to create the /dev/console node in my
init script before the kernel tries to access the /dev tree.

Why does the kernel expect /dev/console to exist prior to running the
ramdisk init process? I thought one of the benefits of initramfs was
it could run earlier in the init process, thus allowing me to create
devs and build the proc, sys directories at run-time. I know I could
do a mknod console on my host machine before building the rootfs but I
want my device to be able to get itself up and running with a minimal
file system.

For reference: init/main.c:init_post()
it checks if /dev/console exists (and prints warning) prior to calling
run_init_process(ramdisk_execute_command)