Re: [Patch 1/1] init: Provide a kernel start parameter to increasepid_max v2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 22 2010 - 10:51:16 EST

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Distros don't want to take a patch that adds a new boot param that is
> > not accepted upstream, otherwise they will be stuck forward porting it
> > from now until, well, forever :)
>
> So for an obscure IA64 specific problem you want the upstream kernel to
> port it forward forever instead ?

Ehh. Nobody does ia64 any more. It's dead, Jim.

This is x86. SGI finally long ago gave up on the Intel/HP clusterf*ck.

Which I'm not entirely sure makes the case for the kernel parameter much
stronger, though. I wonder if it's not more appropriate to just have a
total hack saying

if (max_pids < N * max_cpus) {
printk("We have %d CPUs, increasing max_pids to %d\n");
max_pids = N*max_cpus;
}

where "N" is just some random fudge-factor. It's reasonable to expect a
certain minimum number of processes per CPU, after all.

Linus