Re: [GIT PULL v2] Preparation for BKL'ed ioctl removal

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 24 2010 - 14:49:53 EST

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I don't see the point, frankly. Especially not outside the merge window,
> but quite frankly, I don't see it in general. The whole thing seems to be
> designed to be inconvenient, and to have a config option that I
> fundamentally don't believe in (CONFIG_BKL).

More detail: it still leaves that old "ioctl" function pointer that needs
the BKL and is ungreppable. So the whole and only point of the patch is to
make our current mess even _more_ complex, with three different cases. No,
thank you.

Quite frankly, if you want to get rid of the BKL in ioctl's and make them
easily greppable, then I would suggest a simple renaming: rename the
current '->ioctl()' thing to '->bkl_ioctl()', and mark it deprecated. No
new config options, no new games. Just rename it. No need to mark things
with CONFIG_BKL, when you can just see it by virtue of them using
'bkl_ioctl'.

Linus